Monday, March 21, 2011

“Stout” Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

My burly brother once referred to these as “STOUT” cookies – which is a hearty term of approval in his vernacular.   The name stuck.

Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
When I first made them (back in the days before the internet caught on) I thought I was producing something quite original.  My first inkling to the contrary was in Germany when I took a plate to my upstairs neighbor, Tracie Addyman - who happens to be a Ku-Ki-Do Black Apron herself - and she was just as surprised as I was to find that she wasn’t the only one who made “Oatmeal Scotchies”.   I guess great cookie minds think alike, but according to Google we aren’t as original as we thought we were.  Oh, well…

Be sure you taste test a few of the chips!

Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies                                                                     

1 ¼ cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 LG eggs (use white of a 3rd if you don't have LG or XL)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quick cooking oats
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 12 oz pkg. butterscotch chips
The salt shaker on standby
Directions
Mix butter and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix again.  Dump in the dry ingredients and try not to let fly.  When you have a stiff dough, add the chips.  Bake at 365 degrees for 13-15 minutes.  Be careful not to over-bake or they turn into rocks.   (For complete directions see:   Ku-Ki-Do 101 )

Lightly Salted Goodness!

When these come out of the oven I like to sprinkle salt over the tops – the hint of saltiness with the sweetness of butterscotch seems just perfect to me.

If you're new to cookie baking, this is a great recipe to start with.  It tolerates greater imperfection of method than most cookies and produces a hearty, almost healthy snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment