Thursday, May 5, 2011

Leftover Steak Hash Browns


For my birthday, a couple of weeks ago, the guys cooked.  Ric stood over the grill in 40 degree weather with wind and spitting rain and the boys set the table with everything they could think of that they know that I love.  It turned out to be a lot of red – from the meat and wine to the French pottery and table cloth.  I thought it was very sweet and they really did a great job on the food.


The steaks were delicious!  And, one of the things I love about steak is making oven hash browns with the leftovers.

I chop a bunch of potatoes into little cubes.  The smaller they are the less time they take to bake.



Cut the left-over steak into cubes, about ½ inch.

Drizzle some oil over the potatoes – 1 or 2 Tablespoons is enough. 


Throw in some salt and pepper. 

Then throw in the meat and stir.   


Spread it all on a baking sheet. (Notice I didn’t say “cookie sheet”.)


Cover with foil and put it into a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. 

I took this picture of blue sky from my deck while they meat and potatoes were baking.  Notice the maple tree branch.  Three days from May and that’s all we had in the way of leaves.  Brrrr….  This is why I’m still stuck on winter food.


Back to the kitchen…thank you, Mr. Timer for the reminder!!  After 20 minutes, take the pan out and stir everything around.  The potatoes should be fork tender at this point.  The next step is to get them crispy.



Bump the oven temperature up to 400 degrees and return the pan to the oven, this time uncovered.  Leave them in for about 10 minutes, then pull them out and stir again.  You should be getting some crispy edges.


Return it to the oven for another 7-10 minutes then pull it out and stir again.  Repeat until your hit the crispiness point that you think is perfect.


We like to serve them with ranch and ketchup.  And, it's not a PBJ.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I never know how to make leftover steak appetizing again. I'm going to try this for sure.

    Thanks for being my meal planner this week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Angela. Hope you enjoy. It's kind of fun to know someone is out there! BTW, I need to talk to you about photography sometime.

    ReplyDelete