Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas


These don’t blow-your-socks-off or inspire speculation about secret ingredients.  They’re just simple, easy goodness.  That’s why my children like them.

Tortillas – 9-12, burrito size
Filling
2-3 cups of cooked rice – the exact amount isn’t critical (great way to use leftover rice)
2-3 cups chicken cooked and chopped (beef also works nicely or just extra beans)
I can of beans – I like black, white, pinto, or refried beans
Salsa or Picante sauce – about ½ a cup
¼ cup or so of the enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded cheese (some sort of jack or cheddar)
Sauce
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
Chili powder – about 2 tsp
Cumin – about 1 tsp
1 TBSP Cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup cold water
Topping
1 more cup of shredded cheese
Serve with
 Salsa, sour cream, and guacamole

Sauce: Before I start the filling, I begin heating the tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin in a pan.  It just needs to get hot before you add the cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken it.  (I don’t understand why you have to dissolve the cornstarch in water, but you do.  It stays grainy and gross if you dump it straight in – kind of like cornmeal in chili.)


Of course, you could just buy a can of enchilada sauce, but I don’t usually plan that well.  I almost always have tomato sauce on hand though and dressing it up makes me feel like a real cook.

The filling is simple.  I don’t have the patience for artistic layering of ingredients into tortillas.  I plop it all into a bowl and stir it together.   The salsa and enchilada sauce go in last so that I can make sure not to add too much.  Indiscriminate dumping can turn the whole project sloppy.


Imagine a cup of shredded cheese in these pictures.  I forgot it.  Bad blogging, I know.  But, the enchiladas were still very good and my hips were better for the omission. 

The next step is assembly.  I start by spreading some of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.   Then it’s time to roll.


 I'm never going to be a hand model!




Thanks to JP for the nice set of action shots. 

Pour sauce over the top.



Sprinkle on the cheese.


Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.  You want the cheese bubbly and hot.  The ingredients are all pre-cooked so it's just about getting them nice and hot.


Oh...and I forgot to mention that I sprinkle paprika on top when I want the finished pan of enchiladas to look pretty for company or for blog browsers.  It doesn't mess with the flavor, but it looks nice and this is a catwalk.  The models must accessorize!

No comments:

Post a Comment