Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Snicker-Doodle-Doos

 
These cookies are about the most un-interesting cookies that I make.  No flavor, no chunks, no real color, not terribly photogenic, but somehow very addictive.  They are second only to chocolate chip, and possibly molasses sugar cookies in popularity with friends and family. 

At least they have a name that I can play with!  When my children ask what kind of cookies I’m baking, I answer in my rooster voice.  They roll their eyes.



Snicker-Doodle-Doos

2 cups butter (VERY firm)
3 cups sugar
4 LG eggs (use the white of an extra egg or two if you don’t have LG)
5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp salt

Approx. ½ cup sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon for rolling


For complete instructions on how to mix great cookie dough, see: Ku-Ki-Do 101

Start with the butter (it needs to be very firm) and sugar.  Mix thoroughly


Add the eggs and mix again.


Add the dry ingredients.  I am a believer in dropping them all in at once.  I see no benefit to gradual additions. 

 
I also like the challenge and intrigue of trying to keep the flour in the bowl.  Woman, outwitting mixer – here’s how I do it.

On – off – On – off – On – off …


Darth Mixer would love to sling flour all over the kitchen, but just as the blade gets moving I cut the power.  I am in charge!  I let each poof settle before giving the blade another turn.


Then I transition to:  Oooonnn – off – Oooooooonnnnn – off – ON! Go, Darth! Go!


Good job, Darth!


Now, when Darth looks like this, I think it’s kind of sad.  Here he is with empty arms, singing to his bowl, “Baby, come back!  You can blame it all on me…”


Ignore the lonely mixer while scooping the dough into golf ball sized portions and rolling them in sugar.




Slip them onto the stone and into the 375 degree oven for 12-14 minutes.


They should come out with just nicely browned bottoms.



This recipe makes kind of a fluffy snicker doodle compared to what you get in the stores.  It’s not chewy, but it should be soft in the center with a crisp crust.  Overbaking ruins them. 

My hubby would want me to say that if you live close and happen to try this recipe, he would be happy to taste test.  Snicker doodles are his favorite. 

And, this post wouldn’t be complete if I failed to mention that I can’t ever make snicker doodles without thinking of Jordan Cook, a cadet who baked hundreds of them at our house last time we lived at West Point.   Now, she’s in law school – and still in the Army – we’re proud of her!

1 comment:

  1. I heart snickerdoodles too! And I can just see the eye rolling, but I think I'll attempt the rooster call next time I make them too. :)

    They look so yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete