Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!


The boys have outgrown snap-together eggs and plastic grass, but Easter is still about surprise in the morning – the surprise of life and of an empty tomb.  Treat filled baskets can’t hold a candle to that, but they do add joy to the morning.

Thankfully, I’ve awakened to the world of food blogs, where culinary creativity abounds.  (Maybe not so much on this one, which is why I’m staking my claim on corniness.)  There are plenty of ideas out there so I decided to modify one of the cookie nests.


The basket is a fortified rice crispy treat.
¼ cup butter
10 oz marshmallows
4 cups rice crispies
2 cups shredded wheat cereal crushed


I added the crushed shredded wheat because I wanted a more “nesty” look than plain rice crispies would give me.

Melt the butter over low heat then add the marshmallows and stir until they are melted and smooth





Dump in the cereal and stir together.



Spray the inside of the cereal bowls you are going to use for molds.


Divide the mixture between the bowls.


Spray your hands with cooking spray to avoid sticking to your work and press the cereal goop into a nest shape.


Let the bowls sit overnight then pop out the nests and use them like baskets in the morning.



Joy to you this Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment