Wednesday, April 27, 2011

White Chocolate Cranberry Muffins


This was a mid-morning snack last week.  The boys have grown five inches (between the three of them) in the last six months, so a dozen muffins is about right for “second breakfast” and with a tall glass of milk, “elevensies” is taken care of as well.

 My basic muffin recipe goes like this:

1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup of: oats, whole wheat flour, another cup of all purpose flour or any other combination of dry flour-like stuff that I am in the mood to throw in
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup milk
Add goodies according to taste or what you have in the cabinet.

Muffins are the reverse of cookies.  You start with the dry ingredients then add the liquid.  (For this particular batch that second cup of dry stuff was quick oats.)



Stir it all together gently.   You’re not supposed to over-stir muffin batter.   Honestly, I can’t remember why, but when Alton Brown explained it in a book it made sense and I have done my best to obey this rule ever since.  And, the muffin quality in my house has improved.

Once the dry and wet have been delicately combined, you can add goodies.  For this batch, I used about ¾ cup each of chopped white chocolate chips, chopped dried cranberries, and finely chopped walnuts.




Scoop the batter into a muffin tin sprayed with non-stick spray.  You can use papers, but I never seem to have them in the cabinet – possibly because my boys often chew them like little goats when they’re done with each muffin and it grosses me out. 




Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-14 minutes.

Spread the tops with butter or margarine.  (Yes, I can allow for margarine in non-cookie situations!) 


 Then sprinkle with sugar.



Enjoy one before they’re gone.  In my house, that’s about 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I think you don't overmix because it makes your batter "tough". Too chewy once cooked.

    These look so yummy! I've made white chocolate cranberry cookies... oh so delicious! I think I'll have to give these muffins a try too.

    ReplyDelete